Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tales from a Struggling Economy

Money.com has an interesting feature today profiling the lives of 10 average American families, and how they have been affected by the faltering economy.

Here is Theresa Grof's story:

I am facing my college loans and my low-wage job and the fact that I will not be able to send my own daughter to college.

All I want is full-time work that actually pays the bills. My family hasn't been on a vacation in three years. We don't go to the movies or even rent movies. I went to college and did the right thing and here I am in my 30s contemplating reenlisting in the military for money.

Something needs to be done in the country. My daughter said to me the other day, "Why bother going to college Mom? You have a great degree, from a great college and it means nothing. I think I might move out of the country."

And here's an account from Billie Romero, a 32 year old nurse from LaFayette, LA:
I work as a nurse. My husband is a truck driver/musician. We have two kids we are TRYING to keep in private school. [Like] most working couples, we want the best education for our children, because not just "the rich" deserve private school.
We want to be able to buy a home AND pay the bills. How do you do that when the price of everything is rising except your pay? What do you do?

We don't own a house. We are about to lose our vehicle. Financial strain is hard on a marriage and we wonder why the divorce rate is on the rise. I know mine is strained and 98% of that strain has to do with money (lack of).
You know what we need to fix this? Tax cuts for the rich.

No comments: