Sunday, June 15, 2008

Big Shoes


Friday the political world lost a giant when Tim Russert tragically passed at 58.

Everything that can be said about Russert, the top political journalist of the last 15 years, has or will be said by his family and friends.

In addition a couple of meetings when I worked in DC a few years back, I'll remember Russert fondly for the education he provided every week on Meet the Press, when I was still forming my political identity, and his status as favorite adopted son of my alma mater, Boston College.

NBC News will never be the same. But now, the search for a successor (though not a replacement) begins.

Personally, I would like to see David Gregory fill that void on Meet the Press. I've wondered about the next step for Gregory, who covered the Bush Administration for NBC, what with Brian Williams firmly entrenched in the anchor-chair. His intelligence, experience and sense of humor would make him an asset on Sunday morning. However, there is a legitimate question of whether Gregory has the necessary gravitas and uncompromising attention to detail that led to Russert's unparalleled success.

If not Gregory then perhaps someone with experience similar to Russert's before taking the reigns: a behind the scenes producer and former political hand. Then again, that might not be accepteable in this uber partisan era. Because of all the current squabbling, we might miss out on an immense talent like Russert's. So there probably won't ever be another like him. But you didn't need me to tell you that.

No comments: