"Of course it wasn't hush money!"
- Former John Edwards Finance director, confidante, and rich guy Fred Baron on whether the $15,000/ month he's been giving to former Edwards aide Andrew Young and former Edwards mistress Rielle Hunter is in exchange for the pair's stance that Young (and not Edwards) is the father of Rielle's baby.
Baron said he's given money to both Young and Hunter to leave North Carolina and escape press, and has also covered their "overhead" costs. He denies Edwards ever knew he was funding the pair.
Edwards recently admitted to the affair with the 42 year old documentarian, but denied he's the father of her child, even though he was photographed visiting them recently.
So, to recap:
- Oct. 10, 2007: The National Inquirer reports the affair
- Oct. 11, 2007: Hunter issues a denial: "The innuendoes [sic] and lies that have appeared on the internet and in the National Enquirer are not true, completely unfounded and ridiculous... my conduct was completely professional. This concocted story is just dirty politics and I want no part of it."
- Same day: Edwards denies affair
- Dec. 19: National Inquirer reports Hunter's pregnant and Edwards is the father
- Later that day: Through an attorney, Young issues statement that he's the father, is leaving the campaign, and Edwards had no idea about the relationship
- July 22, 2008: National Inquirer reports that Edwards visited Hunter and baby at an LA hotel
- July 23: Edwards denies story again- "The tabloid trash is full of lies"
- August 8: National Inquirer publishes photos of LA hotel meeting
- Same day: Edwards admits affair
Edwards claimed he met with Hunter at the assistance of a "mutual friend" to hear her story of struggle with the publicity.
Although Edwards claims he would take a paternity test, Hunter said she will not allow it.